Wednesday, December 16, 2009

OB visit for H1N1 vaccine turns into ectopic pregnancy check

My first "official" order of business as a pregnant lady came yesterday, when I headed out to see my OB. I'm not scheduled to go in for my "pregnancy confirmation" appointment (yes, that's what they call it and yes, I just rolled my eyes) until Jan. 11, which will find me in my 8th week. Since I will spend ~20 hours in airports or on planes this holiday, I wanted to get vaccinated against H1N1 sooner rather than later, so that's how I ended up at the doctor's early.

While there, I got the vaccine (the assistant didn't realize I was pregnant and almost gave me the nasal spray that contains the live virus instead of the shot that contains the dead virus--glad we caught that one) and asked my doc about some meds I take, two of which are for motion sickness/travel anxiety and one of which is a Salonpas pain patch for some arm pain I'm having.

"Arm pain?" she asks.

And we got into a discussion. Turns out that arm pain is a symptom of ectopic pregnancy, and based on my dates and lack of other symptoms it's a long shot (thank god) but since I'll be traveling for two weeks away from my regular medical care, she offered to check. I accepted. The program? A sonogram next Monday (by then the embryo should be visible in my uterus) and blood tests every two days to monitor whether my HGC level is going up at the right rate.

I'm nervous about the possibility of ectopic pregnancy (but relieved that it seems like a long shot). At the same time, I'm happy to be getting the sonogram early. I want to see my little sesame-seed-sized bean!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I am sure that you will find that everything's going to be OKAY! And I'm glad the nurse caught the fact that you're pregnant in time to give you the shot and not the spray!

    ReplyDelete